Ten Things You Didn't Know About The Ciao Mixtape
'We got 35,000 stickers made and they're all gone already..."
3 Jun 2015
Facts and photos by Merlin Czarnulla
"Seooo". "Kiiaaa". "Seehow"... I've seen a lot of people look at the Ciao sticker over the last half year and exclaim a variety of mispronounced gibberish and then throw a confused look at any German in close proximity. To clear things up, Bruno Hoffmann and Merlin Czarnula's joint venture is meant to be verbalised like so - "CHOW", meaning hi or bye in Italian. Now we've got that cleared up we can leave Merlin to explain some more about Ciao and you can feast your eyes on some of the photos he's shot during the filming of their mixtape. Make sure you check back next week for the online premiere of all their hard work!
1. Together with the mixtape we‘re going to launch a full collection of clothing featuring two shirts, beanies and zip-hoodies. The stuff is going to be available on our website which you‘ll be able to find at www.ciaocrew.cc
2. We had several people asking if we were a graffiti crew though none of us can actually write graff. Mad shoutout to Darth Vraqk who took the time to fill a blackbook with Ciao Logos and let us pick the best one!
3. Two members of the crew already committed 100% and got a Ciao tattoo. Down for life!
4. Ciao is actually Italian and means hi / bye. In Germany it is used when something is so far out of the ordinary that it is not possible to comprehend anymore. If someone does a 40 stair rail, that's Ciao. Coincidentally Ciao also means far gone when you're talking about getting hammered.
5. During the ECB opening riots one riot cop got stickered and did some great promo for us the whole day.
6. The Mixtape features spots in Germany and Belgium plus a few clips from Spain. The first trip we took for the video was to Brussels and although we went to the same club four days in a row we got lots of stuff done in that week.
7. When we were in Barcelona to shoot Bruno’s Freedombmx interview, Markus Wilke was more than eager to get a guest clip, which didn’t quite work out. He was so ashamed that he felt the need to come back there just to get one for us which didn’t even end up in the mixtape. But don’t worry: we have other big plans with this OG!
8. We got around 35,000 stickers made and they are all gone already.
9. At one point during filming a group of policemen in swat gear approached us thinking the camera Ben films with was a gun. After they realised their mistake they went on and heckled some russian guys instead.
10. When we filmed Bruno’s 540 halfcab manual 360 at Frankfurt’s ghetto spot we borrowed a broom from one of the local gypsies. When he took us behind the building to give it to us we were greated with a Mad Max like scenario. People were shaving each others beards with rusty razorblades...
Setups: Dan Conway and his FIT Savage
"Half the dudes on Fit are now riding one"
Re Print: Stauffer's got nothing to offer?
Looking back and catching up with a true trail riding pioneer