Ten Things You Didn't Know About Nearly 4K
One of our favourite new videos this year!
Photos by Fred Murray
Alex Donnachie's Nearly DVD series is now in it's fourth incarnation and unsurprisingly the new video '4K' is firstly unbelievably good and secondly definitely not HD, let alone 4K. We've been there during a bunch of the filming trips so we decided we should rundown ten facts that you probably didn't know about the whole process of Nearly 4K coming to fruition. Once you're done make sure you order the DVD - you'll be kicking yourself if you don't get one.
1. Well over 100 tapes were used and seven countries were visited during the filming of Nearly 4K.
2. Alex is definitely not the most technologically up-to-date person. He still captures the footage on a computer that is over 12 years old (with multiple external hard drives), and his newly acquired second hand £150 laptop takes care of the editing process.
3. Gambling runs deep in the veins of the Nearly filming trips with hundreds of pounds exchanging hands just in Majorca alone.
4. A filming trip to Newcastle, England was underway and the plan was to stay at Jamieson Carne's house as his mum was away and the house was free. This was all a great idea until Jamieson realised his mum didn't trust him on his own and locked him out of the house and made everyone camp down at the trails! Classic.
5. During a trip to Barcelona Greg Layden and Jordan Gosling were filming a hang 5 down Las Ramblas when the police showed up, jumped out of their car going to grab both of them. However Greg and Jordan are a slippery pair of customers and managed to evade the Five-O with a quick dash down a side street. Meanwhile Jason Phelan, Joe Bailey and Isaac Lesser were cruising down Las Ramblas clueless as to what just happened, and then bumped into the confused police who then proceeded to confiscate their bikes and would only release them for a €200 fine. Joe Bailey was so pissed off he decided to leave his bike at the police station and fly home without it!
6. Alex's VXs have some ghostly technical issues and at least one of them would stop working at some point on every trip. Switch it on, switch it off, give it a lil' shake and you're good again.
7. Cain Martin is well known for his quirky stylings and thinking. While in Amsterdam, Cain lost his wallet so ventured towards the bank to try and convince them to give him some money. He returned to the apartment some time later with no money and casually declared that his bike had been stolen, sat down and went on his laptop like nothing was wrong. Only Cain.
8. Liam Zingbergs still doesn't have any clips in the Nearly series due his unwavering addiction to watching rap videos, and also sheer laziness.
9. During the first year of Nearly zero shots (or shooters if you're Alex) were consumed. During the last year this rose to three thousand.
10. There will be a secret bonus video being released at some point featuring Jason's late night 420 cherry popping shenanigans. Believe us when we say, it's not pretty.
In The Cut: Nearly Behind-The-Scenes
Kriss Kyle, Alex Donnachie, David Grant and more in Majorca... - More Info
25 Years Of Hoffman Bikes
DIG's 10 of the best from Hoffman's epic 43 day countdown
Rebirth in The UK BMX Capital
The Full Story Of the Source Park